Sunday, January 6, 2008

I MADE IT...but barely.  So here is the abbrev. version of my journey:

1. Enter Plane....realize that seat cushion doesn't actually stay on the seat...sit on pillow, between two super nice people from Notre Dame and a guy in the military stationed in Venice.  Smooth Sailing to Milan.

2. Enter Milan 6:30am.  Pilots from Alitalia go on strike.  My flight to Madrid was cancelled.  The airport decided to dump our bags, but still told us that our bags were safely on way to Madrid.  I found my bags 3 hrs later on the floor in some random corner of the airport. 

3.  Go back in line to check my bags for the next flight, but have to wait to two hours behind a couple from Brazil that couldn't get their dog on the plane.  The clerk would get frustrated and then literally get up and run away to some mysterious room for 15 min at a time.  A new clerk came and gave us tickets on a different airline...but that plane left in less than an hr.

4.  Made it to the Iberia check in, and they informed me that I was only allowed to have 1 bag, 20 kilos....I had TWO HUGE BAGS....so I was charged 63 euros for my xs luggage.  SHOOT me in the foot.  

5.  Ran to the next plane in tears...made it on.  spilled water all over my pants so I looked like I had an accident...and I was weeping, so I can only imagine the conclusions that all of my fellow Spaniards came to.  

6.  Bailey, the saint of Spain, waited for 7 hrs and I ran into her arms at the airport.

God is so good and He got me to Spain.  End of Story.

4 Comments:

At January 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Kim said...

Oh Katie you are just hilarious :) I was literally laughing out loud...in front of a computer screen...nobody else in the room (sound familiar? think scranton) when i read about the strike thing and the bags found in a random corner of the airport. God bless you for finding humor in it all :) and about the "they prolly think i had an accident thing," no worries, you have company. IN FACT, not only do i spill but sometimes even blot things on my pants. (Yellow highlighter. Fall asleep in chair. DINOSAUR egg-sized yellow blot on my pants.) Think about the message that one sends, eh? I miss you tons, but I know God will bless you a hundred times over on your journey :) I'm so glad I got to be there at your send-off, and I love you, Lulu!!

 
At January 6, 2008 at 4:28 PM , Blogger Preservice Teachers: Elizabeth and Sam said...

Sheahan, I am so thankful you made it there ok. wow only you would run into a strike in Milan... I hope you are figureing out all your class stuff ok. I love you a lot and I'm praying for your nerves. Have fun buff-aloe
love, liz

 
At January 7, 2008 at 4:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh sweetheart your trip reminds me mine to Milwaukee! Don't worry I guess it's the funniest way to start a new adventure!! I hope that everything is fine in Spain...love you, shoot I miss you

PS: Hi Kim, hi Liz!!! zazu in the place!

 
At January 10, 2008 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Katie! I'm sorry that you suffered embarassment & stress on your way to Spain. I hope that you are enjoying yourself more now. I hung out with Hanyu & Sophie last night which made me think of you. I'll be praying for you! (And that you don't pee your pants again : )

With love in Christ!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home